Sunday, May 17, 2009

Friday Night Delites

So, Friday night some of my favorite girl's and I met up for an early dinner before a birthday celebration. We decided on Byblos at 18th & Sansom.  The food fair was decent, however, everything else was less than stellar. 
I arrived early and took a seat at the bar, where, I was rudely greeted and begrudged for ordering water. Being part camel, it took my no time to down my glass of water and would have LOVED replenishment, but, it seems the water nazi's were out in full force. Thankfully, I didn't wait too much longer before my girl's arrived.
Now, we met at 7:30 pm, a decent time for dinner. You wouldn't expect to hear loud base and hip hop playin' during the dinner hour. But, at Byblos, that's what you get. Not only was the bass and music so loud, but, the cd's were so old they kept skipping and replaying again and a again. It was like nails on a chalkboard.

Call me old fashioned, or an old lady, but, I don't particularly enjoy the bass beats as I try to enjoy my dinner. It seemed Byblos was anxious to start their late night crowd at 7:30 and definitely hurried us through dinner (although the place was empty). 

So, let's see, where should I start.
I ordered the grilled calamari and a Greek salad. The grilled calamari was......at least cooked to the right temperature, but, that's about it. The accompanying marinara sauce tasted pre-made, and the calamari was room temperature. 
The Greek salad at Byblos is sufficient and tasted delicious with large chunks of feta cheese and sardines to match. The salad definitely saved the night. 
I don't like to give bad reviews, however, this place is not recommended for true authentic Mediterranean cuisine. Had I known this beforehand, I would have chosen to go elsewhere, but, I learned my lesson.
My quest for authentic Greek cuisine in Philadelphia continues........



No comments:

Post a Comment